I have so much important stuff from other people that I will confine my own contribution this time to inviting offers for 29 October. I’ve put reports from Jim et al on the Avenue Verte and of Leon on a ‘Clarion mini ride’ after the Next Ride details and Anne’s report of Sunday’s ride.’
I’m going to be away for the next newsletter which Roger will be sending out. Please send any reports – especially the 1 October ride report to both of us. Roger is at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Christmas Lunch – message from Angela. Since there is a menu attached, it will be easier if I forward this separately.
A27 Crossing to Coombes Road
Joyce, our Campaigns Organiser, has registered our objections.
I am objecting on behalf of The Brighton & Hove Clarion Cycling Club for the following reasons:-
1. This application goes against West Sussex’ Walking and Cycling Strategy by reducing the safety and convenience of cyclists.
2. As a group which uses the A27 crossing we do not agree with the suggestion in the Transport Assessment that there is “very low cycling demand”.
3. The proposed replacement for the existing crossing from Old Shoreham Road makes the cyclist’s journey even more hazardous and longer.
4. It is retrograde and contrary to Government advice for a large new development to worsen the cyclist’s experience rather than use the opportunity to improve it (Highways England’s Interim Advice Note 195/16)
5. This proposal should be using the opportunity to prioritise and advance walking and cycling as per Government and West Sussex County Council Transport Policy, rather than as it does at present encourage car use and discourage cycling and walking.
6. If the existing (already hazardous) crossing is to be removed it should be replaced by a bridge or underpass to give safe direct access from the Old Shoreham Rad to Coombes Road for all non-motorised road users. It should be usable in all weather and appropriately lit.
Meanwhile, Sikka has reported and Joyce confirmed that the website is not easy to use. This is further confirmed by an email received from the Howie Banks, chair of local Cycling UK.
Planning Application: AWDM/0961/17
It is apparent that the recent website advertised to object to this scheme has been difficult to use via anything other than a PC, therefore many objections are not being heard and time is running out (Last objection September 29th 2017).In its current form this planning application would result in the loss of the crossing over the A27 from the old Shoreham Toll Bridge to Coombes Road which will be removed and the Old Shoreham Road junction will be permanently closed if the New Monks Farm proposals are approved!The proposed alternative crossing for cyclists involves at least a 1km detour with four new sets of traffic lights over a new roundabout and an upgraded A27.Off-road alternatives have not been agreed and might prove non-viable. Meanwhile this major development would go ahead.Recently, there has been a fatality on this stretch of road, walkers, workers and pupils from Lancing College would also have to find an alternative crossing.
If you would like to object to this planning proposal or suggest an alternative such as a bridge or tunnel please use this link kindly provide by Bricycles. https://bricycles.org.uk/2017/09/07/coombes-a27-crossing-at-risk-of-closure/
Or email: email@example.com quoting AWDM/0961/17 in the subject.