Minutes of the 2016 Annual General Meeting

22 March 2016

Held at 104 Bonchurch Road on Monday 14 March 2016.

Present were Julian Arkell, Anne Barry, Mick Barry, Ian Bullock, Sue Bullock, Sean Burke, Helen Byrne, Angela Coulter, Jim Grozier, Bob Harber, Roger Hinton (Chair) Jenny Millington and Fred Pipes.

1. Apologies for absence were received from   Joyce Edmond-Smith, Chloe Bullock,  Suzanne Hinton, Leon Moore, Amanda Ostermann, Adam Pride, Sue Pringle (Sikka), and Tessa Wolfe-Murray.

2. The minutes of the 2015 AGM were agreed as accurate.

3. There were no Matters Arising from the minutes.

4. Webmaster’s Report

Fred’s report had been circulated with the agenda papers.  He added that since he wrote it posts had increased to 599 and views to 34, 232. The Flickr pool had also increased.  The new national website was discussed.

Fred’s report was accepted with thanks.

5. Treasurer’s Report 

5.1. Julian’s report had been circulated prior to the meeting. The report was accepted with thanks.

5.2. There was discussion about membership cards.  No one had experienced difficulties in obtaining discounts, but it was felt that it would be better if the issue of cards and dates when they were valid could be synchronised.

6. Racing Secretary’s Report

Bob reported that both he and Mick had taken part in events at the Easter Meet and drew attention to the table in the current edition of Boots and Spurs which showed that there were two sections below Brighton and Hove in the points competition.  The report was accepted with thanks.

7. Secretary’s report

Ian’s report had been circulated.  It was suggested that it might be added to the website. The report was accepted with thanks.

8. Stakeholders’ Workshop report. 

8.1 The dangerous situation at Duke’s Mound was discussed and it was agreed that Anne would write, expressing B&H Clarion’s continuing concern, to Gill Mitchell, with copies to Warren Morgan and Becky Reynolds.

8.2 Jim raised the possibility of taking up issues that affect our rides outside Brighton and Hove – such as the possibility of a bridge over the Ouse north of Lewes.

9. There were no other reports.

10. Election of Officers

10.1. The following were duly nominated, seconded and elected

Chair – Roger Hinton                              Vice Chair – Anne Barry

Secretary – Ian Bullock                           Treasurer – Julian Arkell

Social Secretary – Angela Coulter        Webmaster – Fred Pipes

Racing Secretary – Bob Harber

10.2     It was agreed to continue to suspend the office of Campaigns organiser for the current year.

10.3   Angela was thanked for organising the Christmas social.

11.   There were no motions

12.  National Annual Conference Business

12.1   Only Bob was definitely attending the Meet at Lincoln, though Anne and Mick would also attend if possible.

12.2. It was agreed to support all the rule changes and new rules proposed by the national committee.

12.3 After some discussion it was agreed that we would be interested in the possibility of including 3rd party public liability insurance in the membership fee.  The cost would be a determining factor as regards our support.

13. Proposals for Activities in 2016

13.1   Summer social. Angela would explore further the possibility of combining this with a ride to somewhere also accessible by public transport.

13.2  Winter social.  The possibility of holding this after rather than before Christmas was discussed.  There was some support for the idea of a later event but the majority preferred it to take place before Christmas.

13.3  Away weekend.  Angela and Helen would try to organise a New Forest weekend starting on Friday 16 September.

13.4   Autumn Meet at  Ironbridge.  This was scheduled for October. Jim would keep members informed via the newsletter.

13.5  Dieppe Tour.   Noting that he and other B&H and Joyce and Leon had taken part in 2015, Bob drew attention to this possibility for the current year.

13.6   Possible “off-season” in January and February.  This was discussed but there was general agreement with Anne’s argument that the weather was often as bad and as unpredictable in July as at the beginning of the year.

13.7   Saturday 16 April.  Jim would explore the possibility of organising a ride to meet up with the London section.   There was support for his wish to find a way to reciprocate the hospitality we had received from London.

There being no other business Ian and Sue were thanked for their hospitality in hosting the meeting.

Ian Bullock, Secretary.                                                                        15 March 2016


Secretary’s Report for 2015

15 March 2016

Presented to the AGM, 14 March 2016

We couldn’t have had a sunnier day for our New Year ride on 2 January. We formed a sizeable group at Carats Café.  A really good start to the year!   But the first “real” ride on 11 January to check out the new Egrets way did not go off quite so well.  As Amanda reported, it was “most certainly a ride of two halves” with “a howling icy blast” to contend with in the later stages. Meanwhile, we had had our AGM.  The minutes have been circulated but it is worth in this context mentioning two decisions that affect this year’s meeting.  Finding that we now longer needed, by national rule, to hold our AGM quite so early, we changed our own rule to enable it to take place any time up to the end of March.  We also decided to facilitate the task of collecting subs by making the decision a year in advance, so at this year’s meeting we will need to fix the fee for 2017.

There was a good turnout also for the other January ride with the London Clarion which took the participants to Greenwich and London Bridge.  Sally, out with Brighton Clarion for the first time, wrote the report.  No one offered a ride for the first date in February, which was probably just as well given the weather that day.  Rides now started to be definitely led by the “usual suspects” with   Anne and Mick who had already led a ride in January taking on two successive ones in February and March, while Jim who had organised our end of the London ride leading the other ride in March. Yet there was no shortage of “takers” for our rides. Anne and Mick, for example, had 15 on their Hassocks to Poynings ride in March.

When we reached April I was tempted to try my hand at a bit of Canterbury Tales pastiche – only for Jim to point out that a much better effort had been made back in 2009. It appeared in the 5 May newsletter along with other poems by members and later in the year we had another one from Leon. Chris announced an “Easter Bonnet Ride” and after promising “Quiet lanes, rural pubs, neo-nazis and an old workhouse” went on to invite everyone to “celebrate Easter by dressing up (optional) –an Easter bonnet, fancydress, and Easter egg, your plus fours and tweed, or whatever.”  It seemed to have worked because no fewer than 18 turned up, though, as Jim reported “although nobody wore a bonnet, Chris’s bowler hat was very impressive, and Helen had brought daffodils, and Easter treats to hand out at teatime. “It was on this ride that Joyce had a nasty encounter with the wing mirror of a car whose driver didn’t even bother to stop.  Fortunately, she got away with a bruised arm – and being shaken up by the experience.  But not the sort of thing you expect, let alone want, to happen on a ride.

Memory is a strange thing.   I was convinced before I started to trawl the newsletters that I had made it clear from the very beginning of the year that I wasn’t “back-stopping” or, after a while, coming out on rides, because my cataract problem had become so bad that I didn’t feel confident enough to ride in a group.  In fact in January I simply pleaded other commitments – which was true enough – and in February though I did mention that I was waiting to be summoned to the eye hospital for surgery I didn’t make the full extent of why I wasn’t available clear.  It actually wasn’t until the    beginning of April that I came completely clean about it.

Also in April we had lively reports of the Easter Meet at Llangollen from Mick and Anne.  Six people – a record I think – from our section attended: Bob Anne, David, Fred. Mick and Terri.  Mick’s account concentrated on energetic achievements in the two club rides, the Horseshoe Pass and the 8 mile time trial which turned into a hill climb of less than half that distance.  Anne told us about the less fearsome aspect of the Meet including the dinner attended by – among others – an allegedly well-behaved dog who, sadly, failed to be awarded a prize. Mick did a little better winning a mug in the raffle.

At the end of April I had some problems with my old computer – now replaced.  Fortunately Jim was able to get a mini-version of the newsletter out with all the vital info. The first ride in May, led by Helen, featured a return visit to Oldlands Mill. The next ride continued the high turnouts with 18 turning up. Among much else Anne reported on the damage done to David’s bike by a pothole and a close shave with a “white van man’” Bad weather forced Julian to cancel the final May ride. For the first ride in June Leon had suggested a “Pier to Pier” ride from Brighton to Worthing but was unable to take it on himself and Amanda came to the rescue – not for the first time.  Also in June we had as well as the usual “last ride” reports Mick’s account of a ride over the St Gotthard Pass and Joyce and Leon’s report of the “Dieppe Raid” together with one from Bob on the same subject.

The first ride in July was frustrating for me.  One of my eyes had been done, so I could see where I was going again, and I set off the meet everyone at the Velo Café- only to have my transmission seize up completely after about a mile.  As Julian reported the rest of the ride went well in spite of high winds and some rain.  Similar inclement weather returned for the second ride that month which ended in Hastings. As Jim reported, “Hastings was awash with pirates, many of them superbly kitted out with bandannas, pirate hats, feathers, swords, old-fashioned pistols, and even a peg-leg. Apparently the idea is to break the record for the number of pirates gathered together in one place; for several years there has been competition between Hastings and Penzance for this honour.”  You certainly live on learn on a Clarion ride! It was around that time we also had Anne’s Report on a “Swiss Holiday Trip to UCI & Velo Rte 1-Andermatt/Brig.”

Early in August Julian recycled  – in all senses –  the Dell Quay ride which bad weather had forced him to cancel earlier in the year.  It went very well in spite of some confusion at the Crown and Anchor over “prawn and salmon salads” as Corinne reported.  There seems to have been more luck in September at The Inn on the Green, where, in Anne’s words, “Food was fine & varied, whitebait, roasts, child roasts [from local pigs], salad nicoise, ham & eggs, haddock & chips, apple crumble, all arrived promptly & were enjoyed.”

I finally managed to lead a ride on 4 October. My idea was to repeat our visit to the Chiddlingly Festival in 2008.  Unfortunately it turned out that the various attractions and stalls we had sampled on our first visit years before  were not, in 2015 at least,  available on the final Sunday of the festival. But the Bells proved a good substitute and afterwards we called at one of the outlying “art houses” of the festival where Tessa was exhibiting.  Tessa was about concerned about cake running out and she phoned me to suggest we get a move on if we didn’t want to miss it. We took advantage of the presence of cards for sale to send a “get well soon” one to Helen, which, as she told us in the newsletter which followed, cheered her greatly.  I was keen to take part in Julian’s and Jim’s Worth Way ride but was thwarted again when my chain got jammed and it took too long to hold up the rest of the company to get it unjammed. Still I did get to have another look at Worth church which made it worthwhile nevertheless.  But I missed out on Gullege (or Gulledge – there seems to be  some uncertainty about the correct spelling) House, the Bluebell Railway and other delights of the ride.

David’s Shoreham to Littlehampton ride at the beginning of November was praised by Julian for being “a ride with no ‘undulations.’”  Julian also reported the ride with Gosport Clarion which I was particularly sorry to miss.  Julian seems to have caught my “seized up gears” complaint on this ride but it all turned out very well in the end.  Being conservative in everything except politics I had hoped to be able to lead the Berwick circular which we have been doing as the last ride of the year since 2004 – more or less.  Unfortunately, maintenance on the Coastway East rail line put this out of the question.  Instead we did a ride which featured in the words of   Angela’s report “Twineham and Wineham, (what a lovely rhyming couple)” and – I think for the second time in 2015 – the Royal Oak for lunch. I seemed to have shocked my companions by suggesting that some of the more luxurious-looking places we passed might be the retreats of retired drug dealers; but, after all,  the poor things have to live somewhere!  And when you think about how long  large-scale illegal importation has been going on and how few of the “top” people involved get caught, there must be quite a few around.  And so we came to the final event of the Brighton and Hove Clarion year – the Christmas lunch which Angela had organised at the Café Rouge. All twelve of us had a very good time and Anne had some nice glittery brooches to distribute.

Throughout the year we had sightings of interesting wild –and not so wild – life.  In late January, for example, Sally reported that in  South Norwood Country Park “the lake was dotted with goldeneye ducks and drakes, coots and moorhens, and a big white Aylesbury, who reminded Joan of her childhood duck Kate, memorable for regularly laying double-yolked eggs,” while on the last ride of the year in December Angela recalled that” Julian identified the birdsong of a green woodpecker, robins and possibly a song thrush, who were also ‘in good voice’.”  Other creatures great and small made at least fleeting appearances on many of the rides in between.

And so we came to the end of another year – generally a very successful one though a bit frustrating for me at times.  In 2014 we had 15 different members involved in leading rides.  By my count it was slightly fewer – 13 – in 2015.  Let’s hope there are even more ride leaders in 2016.  Meanwhile, it was nice to hear from our friend Peter Roscoe of Bury Clarion from time to time through the year. Thanks to Julian for continuing with the onerous task of treasurer. Thanks to Roger who kept the newsletters going while I was away at various times during the year and to Fred – and Jim – for keeping the website up to date and to Jim for saving the situation when I had computer problems. Thanks also to everyone who led a ride – especially to Jim, Anne and Mick who, as usual, did much more than their fair shares. Finally, thanks to all who wrote  reports, or contributed to the newsletter discussions during the year.

Ian Bullock


News

2 December 2014

Dear All

So, thanks to John, there will be another ride this year on 14 December (details below)

The 2015 AGM

This is to give the formal notice required by our constitution that the 2015 AGM with be at 8pm on Thursday 8 January at 104 Bonchurch Road.

In choosing the date I went for the first date in the New Year following the traditional end of the Christmas festivities that the people who responded to my plea for dates to avoid could make.

As you’ll recall from earlier editions of this newsletter, the reason for calling this meeting so early is so we can decide how much we will need to pay for the 2015 subscription.  It was agreed at the national conference last Easter to increase the national subs by £2. We could keep our own subscription down to £8 rather than £9 (compared with £7 in 2014) by suspending our £1 local subscription for the year. Personally, I don’t feel very bothered about which amount we go for, but to make sure that we get a definite decision I will be moving the suspension of the local sub for one year.  Those who disagree will then be able to state their case, move any necessary amendments and the decision will be made by the usual democratic vote.

Apart from that the AGM will consider the usual items – reports from officers, elections, proposals for activities in 2015 – and I will be sending out an agenda about a week prior to the meeting. Please let me have any items you want discussed ASAP.

Ian


AGM 2012

23 January 2012

Clarion Cycling Club Brighton and Hove Section AGM 2012

Monday 30 January 2012 at 8 pm at 39 Regency Square, Brighton

AGENDA

1. Apologies for absence

2. Minutes of 2011 AGM

3. Any matters arising not covered by other agenda items.

4. Webmaster’s Report for 2011 (Fred)

5. Treasurer’s report – Financial statement for 2011 (Jim)

6. Secretary’s Annual Report 2011 (Ian)

7. Any other officers’ reports.

8. Amendment to Constitution. Motion from Secretary – Substitute “Campaigns Organiser” for “Cycle Forum representative “. [I hope we can discuss not only whether we want a Campaigns Organiser, but also what might be involved in such a the role. It might also make sense, if the meeting agrees, to have the election for this role at this point in the agenda rather than in the normal sequence.]

9. Election of Officers
– Chair
Vice Chair
Secretary
Treasurer
Social Secretary
Racing Secretary
Webmaster
Campaigns Organiser

10. Annual Conference Business (see forwarded documents from Ian Clarke)
Representation?
Nominations (see especially Ian C’s note re: national treasurer) and claims
Provisional Motions from national committee
Any motions or amendments from our section

11. Proposals for activities in 2012 – including social events

12. A.O.B

Ian Bullock, Secretary.


AGM 2012

29 December 2011

The 2012 AGM will take place at 39 Regency Square, Brighton at 8pm on Monday 30 January.

I have taken account of all your responses to my earlier message about possible dates, including, of course, of those of Roger and Suzanne who are hosting the meeting. This seems to be the most convenient date.

I will be sending out the agenda for the meeting about a week before. If there is anything you would like to be included on the agenda please let me know by, let’s say, 20 January. The same applies to any reports – like those of Jim and Fred which were circulated with the agenda last year.

Can I also remind you to renew your subscription for 2012 – if you haven’t already done so? Send a cheque for £7 payable to Brighton and Hove Clarion Cycling Club to Jim Grozier, 92a Springfield Road, Brighton BN1 6DE.

Ian


Minutes of the 2011 Annual General Meeting

5 February 2011

Held at 104 Bonchurch Road on Tuesday 18 January 2011

Present were, Ian Bullock, Sue Bullock, Joyce Edmond-Smith (Chair), Jim Grozier, Roger Hinton, Suzanne Hinton, Jenny Millington, Fred Pipes.

1.  Apologies for absence were received from Anne Barry, Mick Barry, Chloe Bullock, Bob Harber, Colette Harber, Tim Haillay, Brian Hutton, Tessa Wolfe-Murray.

2.  The minutes of the 2010 AGM were agreed as accurate.

3.  Matters Arising. Ian reported that at the national AGM our amendment to delete “Go Ride” from a national committee motion had been lost.

4.  Secretary’s Annual Report for 2010. Ian’s report had been circulated with the agenda papers. Ian added an appreciation of Fred’s work as webmaster. The report was accepted, with thanks to the Secretary and to those who had organised rides and social events in 2010.

5Treasurer’s Report – Financial Statement. Jim’s report  had been circulated with the agenda papers. It showed a balance of £38.84.  Jim said that it would be possible to work out a provisional budget for the coming year.  The membership at the end of 2010 was 47.

The financial statement and membership report was accepted with thanks

6.  Webmaster’s report. Fred’s report had been circulated with the agenda papers.  He explained the need to “future proof” and the report was accepted including Fred’s proposal to leave the current website as it is – as a static archive – and start up a new WordPress website as a blog, with links to the old site.

7.  Other Officers’ Reports. It was agreed to invite Bob to contribute a report for the newsletter

8. Changes to the List of Officers

Jim proposed the creation of a new position of Rides Co-ordinator which might, or might not, be combined with that of Secretary.  This was discussed at some length but it was decided to maintain the status quo for the time being and possibly revisit the idea in the future.

8.2 Suzanne said that while she was prepared to organise a  “social event” in the summer she did not want to take on the role of Social Secretary.  It was agreed to suspend this position, with the possibility of re-establishing it in the future.

Roger reported on the demise of the current Cycling Forum, stressing that it might be revived in some form later in the year.  It was agreed that it would be useful to maintain the position of Cycling Forum representative for the time being.

9. Election of Officers The following were then duly nominated, seconded and elected.

Chair – Joyce Edmond Smith

Vice Chair – Jenny Millington

Secretary – Ian Bullock

Treasurer – Jim Grozier

Racing Secretary – Bob Harber

Webmaster – Fred Pipes

Cycle Forum representative – Roger Hinton.

10. Annual Conference

10.1  Representaton. Ian and Sue were definitely attending the Easter Meet at Stirling and it was presumed that Bob and Colette would be too.  Joyce, Jenny and Fred were considering the possibility of attending.

10.2 Delegates. It was agreed that all members attending would be a joint delegation at the conference with Ian as the named delegate in charge of the card vote.

10.3 Nominations. It was agreed to nominate Bob as Standing Orders Secretary subject to his agreement to stand.

Position on Motions – Delegates’ instructions. National Committee motions (see Conference motions circulated before the AGM for details).  It was agreed to leave it to the delegation to decide the position to adopt but with the assumption that the motions would be supported unless strong arguments not anticipated by our AGM convinced the delegation to oppose.

11.   Proposals for activities in 2011

11.1 Jim was organising a weekend in the New Forest in April.  The exact details would be announced as soon as it was possible to check the train times.

11.2 The need for the restoring of bridge between Malling and Hamsey had been raised earlier.  Jenny said she could pursue this in her role as Footpaths Champion for the Hamsey Parish Council.

11.3 Suzanne would organise a summer social event.   Jenny would organise one at Christmas

11.3 John’s offer to run one or more “bike fixing” session was welcomed.  Ian would explore that with him further.

11.4 Jim would continue to explore the possibility of a ride incorporating the Hastings May Day festival.

12.  Other Business. How to improve communications was discussed and it was agreed that Jim would initiate a Google Group to facilitate and encourage the discussion of possible Clarion activities.

Ian and Sue were thanked for their hospitality in hosting the meeting.

Ian Bullock,  Secretary.                                                                        20 January 2011